Tuesday, December 6, 2011

masala therapy

Barry pointed out to me the other day that I haven't had any of those bad mood dips or uncontrollable weeping since I started my -- some would say obsessive -- romance with Bollywood.  Additionally, I find myself doing a lot of related research so I can have a better understanding of the movies: Indian culture, religion, politics.  I probably know about 20 words in Hindi, at this point, but can also remember and say a lot of Hindi movie and song titles.  (I have English subtitles to thank for most of this.)

So on the one hand, it's a crazy obsession which includes a hard crush on you-know-you...but it's also become something of an interesting hobby and a path of self-education.  Plus, thanks to the internet, it's mostly free, with the exception of a few movies I've had to buy because I can't find them subtitled online.

I find I'm not too interested in anything else, but that's par for the course when I adopt a new enthusiasm.  There were times when I was interested in nothing but jewelry and semi-precious stones; times where I was interested in nothing but (God help me) the music of the Holy Modal Rounders; and times where my mind was totally consumed by (ditto) bottlecaps.  (Don't get me started about the connection between the latter two.)

OK, I'll pretend to be well-rounded, and post some bottlecap pictures, for old times' sake:





I've also gone back to Twitter, where I can be found as @northofconey.  It seems less difficult than it once was to come up with brief bites, though I only have a handful of followers.  If you use it, come see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment