Saturday, December 31, 2011

last day of the year

Nice party at Robin's last night.  Re-met some of her friends, and a couple of new ones.  She served some nibbles and then some more substantial food; I could live forever on tostones with a dab of dill sour cream and a piece of nova (lox) on top.  (Non-Americans:  tostones are plantains, a banana-like fruit but less sweet -- the slices are fried, smashed to discs and then fried again.  Lox is smoked salmon.

I enjoyed the folks there, although there was one woman who seemed a touch obsessed with her ex-dog -- that is, the dog her ex-boyfriend got when they still lived together.  I love my cats, but I don't think I ever talk more than a few minutes about them.  I swear I heard  20 minutes+ about Buford the French bulldog.

I love where they're living now, in Crown Heights.  It's a typical changing neighborhood these days, bodegas and organic health food stores.  It's another one of those Brooklyn neighborhoods that's cycled around: a Jewish neighborhood where my mother and Robin's were both born; an uneasy mix of Orthodox Jews and and African-Americans (occasionally causing riots and big crime stories when one group came into conflict with the other); and now, gentrifying.  Any neighborhood with beautiful old building stock will eventually be reclaimed; if the neighborhood has become run-down, it will be cleaned up, and soon enough...unaffordable.

At home, I couldn't figure out what movie I wanted to watch, so I watched snips of a few.  Saw a bit of Don 2.  Shah Rukh Khan seems to be encroaching on Tom Cruise/Jean-Claude Van Damme territory, and I predict we will end up being Bruce Willis.  I don't feel bad about making these American comparisons because someone is trying to internationalize him and turn him into a worldwide action star.  Ra.One didn't quite manage it.

Then I moved on to what I hope is the worst movie Amitabh ever made:  Shahenshah.  It's an unbelievably cheesy masked-avenger sort of movie, a superhero without powers.  He does have a lock of silver hair and a leather jacket with a bulletproof metal arm.  His daytime identity is as a goofy, corrupt cop (these sort of characters are often identified by their chewing paan, a mild stimulant made of betel leaf and a few other substances.  This was Amit-ji's return to films after his 1984-87 political career, and he looks a little puffy, and the movie is very old-fashioned for 1984,  Behold, Shahenshah:


Then I abandoned this movie and rewatched some of Buddah Hoga Tera Baap.  It put Go Meera Go into a little more perspective, as the character of Vijuu is supposed to be something of a dandy.  Hence, the clothes.  This time, he seemed to me to look a little better in the video, as it sat within the movie.  I want to rewatch the rest and see Hema Malini again.  She's probably my favorite of his leading ladies.

In 2012:  kinder to myself and my body (diet and exercise).  Less quick to judge people, especially negative judgment.  Kinder to others.  Learn and grow.  Happy new year to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment