Thursday, March 1, 2012

men who talk like men talked in the seventies; more about Davy Jones; Life of Pi

I realize that part of why it was so nice to see Bob on Tuesday was actually hearing his voice, which is kind of soft and dreamy. The seventies was the time when I first started to have serious attractions and serious and non-serious boyfriends, and those young men and those liaisons were my first experiences beyond crushes. Some of my tastes were certainly formed in that era, as evidenced by my continuing attraction to old-hippie and post-hippie men, both their looks and the ways they sounded. I'm developed likings for other types of men as well, but those guys from the seventies were the first. It also made me thinking about Joe Ford, whom I loved dearly in 1988, before his way-too-young death. My friend Robert Satzger met Joe once and was entirely unimpressed, noting that Joe seemed to being "doing" George Carlin - that is, their speech patterns were very similar. I realize this was probably something that was part of my attraction to Joe. Carlin had that sort of 1950s hipster/Bronx accent way of speaking, although I first heard him in the seventies. Joe was from Brooklyn rather than the Bronx, but he would have been a teenager in the 50s too (he was 18 years older than I). I've heard it said that a lot of things people identify with the sixties actually happened in the seventies, and that's true. The sixties sensibility held on until the late seventies, when disco and singles bars took hold, and the icky part of the seventies began. Loved my seventies hippie stuff.

I have finally started reading The Life of Pi. I avoided it for the longest time because I kept hearing it was about a guy in a boat with a tiger, which made me think of some sort of saccharine parable or something. But I finally decided to give it a shot, and what do you know! it starts out in India, and the lead character is Indian! true, he does end up in a boat with a tiger (I'm at that part now), but so far, what really struck me was the early part of the book, where Pi was searching for a spiritual home and ended up being a Christian, a Hindu, and a Muslim all at once.

It's amazing how Davy Jones' unfortunate and young death has brought all of the closet Monkees fans out into the open. A lot of my Facebook friends are music people in some way, and everyone is talking about Davy and the Monkees and posting all kinds of clips. I used to feel a little embarrassed that I still listen to the Monkees sometimes. I didn't have time to listen to or post any clips yesterday (no audio at the office), but will get to it ASAP. However, I will say that my favorite Monkees' song is probably "Pleasant Valley Sunday" (sung by Micky, not Davy). And everyone is dredging up one of my favorite music industry trivia items: another singer named David Jones was forced to change his name, as not to be confused with the Monkees' Davy Jones. He changed it to David Bowie.

It's always a little depressing when close friends drift a bit due to a serious romance (or an obsessive one). It's happening to me lately with two or three people (one has addition concerns requiring a lot of attention). Of course, I've done exactly the same thing when I've fallen in love or obsession. But it doesn't make me miss the company of my friends any less when they do it...and I'm afraid that, at least in my head, I tend to be a little critical of their doing it. But still, I'm there when they return -- and just now, I'm holding a safety net for one who is pretty certain to crash badly.

I was just looking at the stats for this blog, and still can't figure out why that old post about "summer camp theater and school" is read more than twice as often as any other post. It's 2-1/2 years old already, and the keyword tags are pretty ordinary.  It's a mystery to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment