Wednesday, August 24, 2011

earthquake and other disasters, and some plans

Somehow, I missed the earthquake yesterday.  I must have been preoccupied with something at work.  Barry said things shook at home and the cats freaked out.

But I may not miss out on disaster entirely, since there's supposed to be a big frigging hurricane messing with the entire east coast all weekend.  It would have to be on the weekend I'm supposed to go to Jannah's and finally go out on her boat!

Since I'm getting somewhat involved with development and fundraising on the job, I think I'm finally going to get myself schooled in grant writing.  This is something I've wanted to do for eons.  If it's writing, I've got the chops, and I know that it's something you can do freelance and make some loot.  I don't know if I'll need to take a class or classes, or if I can just school myself, but if it's classes, maybe my job will pick up the tab.  I would mostly be using it for PPSC.

Amazon Associates seems to be working again, and is even showing the "best seller" that I was going to plug in my last post.  But it was a bit of a lightweight read.  I'm now on to another Childs/Preston, so that's today's plug.

I think I forgot to mention how extremely happy I am that the West Memphis 3 were finally freed.  In fact, there's a very good book about them, too.  The WM3 case involved the murder of three young boys, a totally botched police investigation, and the arrest and conviction of three teenagers who liked to wear black tee shirts and listen to Metallica -- they were of course accused of being Satanists, etc.  I think they served something like 18 years, and are now grown men.  There was also an excellent documentary, which I think is actually how I first heard about the case.  It was a dreadful business, and at least it's been made as right as is possible, since those 18 years are forever lost to those young men.

No comments:

Post a Comment