Tuesday, August 9, 2011

dove lady

I'm on the subway platform this morning, waiting for my train.  It's an elevated platform, and a lot of birds roost right under it.  This morning, I heard some particularly loud dove burbling, and turned to see where it was coming from -- is was so loud that I thought the doves might have been visible.  So when I turned to look at the spot, there was a woman there, and she said, "Yes, it's me."  Then I realized she was talking into a cell phone.

I can tell from my subway platform how cloudy or overcast it is.  If it's clear, I can see the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island between two buildings. Cloudy, no Wonder Wheel.  Coney is an icky place to live, but I love being able to see even a sliver of it from my subway platform.

I'm mildly burnt-out at work.  It's almost exactly four months, and I'd love a touch of extra time off.  But I'm going to Jannah's on the evening of the 26th, for the weekend, and I do have Labor Day off, so those should be some nice brief breaks.

Also, I think this is the second of two really bad allergy days.  (And like a dope, I forgot to take my allergy pills both days.)  Yesterday, I wasn't even sure if it was allergies or a cold.  Runny nose, scratchy throat.  I know a cold isn't a big deal, but it tends to paralyze me; I can't get past the way my head feels full of cement, my ears are clogged, my voice doesn't sound right, my nose is running, I'm coughing.  It's hard for me to think about anything past how lousy I feel.

I'm reading Reliquary by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs.  It happens to be the second book in a series, and I realized as I was reading it that I had, at some point, read the first book in the series, Relic.  The books are kind of spooky-science-mysteries, and the super-detective is an odd, genius, wealthy, albino FBI Special Agent who kind of freelances wherever the crimes are.  The first two books are set in around the American Museum of Natural History in New York, which is way cool.  (I interned there for a short time in high school.)  I also just found out that there are something like ten books in the series, and I seem to have them all. Yay for ebooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment