Tuesday, June 21, 2011

bad shit, Walmart plus Supreme Court version

Anyone who knows me at all knows that I despise Walmart.  Wouldn't spend a dime in one to save my life.  I'm not a huge activist of any kind. but these guys are seriously terrible to their workforce, plus they ruin anywhere they set up shop:  put mom-and-pops out of business, increase the state's Medicaid roles because Walmart's health insurance is way too expensive and their employees are paid too little, and they're notorious for causing environmental damage when they build new stores.  Oh yes, and they underpay women even less then they underpay men.  The Supreme Court seems to think this is OK.  

I know people who shop at Walmart, and when I seem horrified about this, they always cite the big bargains they get.  But Walmart exacts a toll in other ways, but no one wants to hear about it, because they can buy 70 rolls of toilet paper for $1.50.  I wish those people could be a little more responsible.  Everyone seems to know that Sadaam Hussein was a bad guy and Osama Bin Laden was a bad guy, but Walmart is a home-grown bad guy, and its customers seem to turn a blind eye.  I haven't been to a demonstration in years, but if there's one coming up to keep Walmart out of NYC (and those bastards have their eye on Brooklyn), I'm there.



No comments:

Post a Comment