Saturday, August 14, 2010

a lovely song for Saturday morning



I still can't figure out how to upload music here, but luckily, YouTube has a video of this song.  I just acquired a copy of this song, and got to listen to it for this first time in many, many years.  Even though it's called "The Retreat Song," I have always found it somewhat uplifting, perhaps because I don't understand the lyrics.  But when she starts singing after the opening recitative, it give me goosebumps every time.  Easily my favorite Miriam Makeba song.

I even found the lyrics:

Lyrics

The Retreat Song Lyrics

Jikela emaweni sia hamba, Jikela emaweni sia hamba, Jikela emaweni sia hamba, Jikela emaweni sia hamba Axents' amakhwenkwe axhentsa kwaba mnandi Axents' amakwenkwe axentsel'emgondini A jika madodda a jika kwabamandi A jika madodda a jikele mgondini
full lyrics
more lyrics


I've been looking at the Amazon links but a lot of them don't have track listings.  This song is from Makeba's self-titled album, released in 1960.  You may have to find it yourself.  This album doesn't have what is probably her best-known song, "Pata Pata," but every track on it is a gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment