Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas songs: exceptions

I joined into a little anti-Christmas-song bitchfest on FB today with a few friends.  But I remembered a few good ones:  "Father Christmas" by the Kinks;  "Feliz Navidad" by Freddy Fender; and "Run Run Rudolph" by Chuck Berry.

Then one of the guys directed me to three YouTube videos I'd never known about.  I posted that they were going on my blog immediately.




I like the point-of-view of the Jill Sobule song, and the overall great songwriting and singing of Robert Earl Keen (though Sobule is no slouch as a singer, either).





This next one is just plain weird.  I'm guessing the song must be traditional, although I've never heard it before.  I do know that Brave Combo also recorded it, and I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the guys in this video were from that band.

I think Dylan is supposed to look like Scrooge, but he kind of looks like Tom Petty.




I hope no one thinks ill of me for this (I don't usually admit to this very often), but I don't really like Bob Dylan.  I never got him.  And I've loved and still love some singers with very unbeautiful voices.  But he just never grabbed me the way he grabbed other people, and the way the Beatles and Stones grabbed me.  I don't think I listened to singer-songwriters at all in the 60s, but I started to like quite a few in the 70s, even (and especially) some who were unique and sometimes cock-eyed.  But Dylan was not one of them.  Of course, there are a handful of his well-known songs that I like.  I keep trying and trying...every so often, I listen to an album someone has suggested, but I still don't love him.  I just don't get him, or like him.

Do you still like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment