Saturday, January 22, 2011

I know you are, but what am I?

I used to have a VHS copy of Pee Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special (1988). I watched it many, many times.  I loved Pee Wee's Playhouse, but the Christmas Special pretty much had all of the characters and bits in it, plus a ton of wonderful and bizarre guest stars.  I downloaded a copy a couple of days ago and just watched it again.  Holds up pretty well after 23 years.  Plus a lot of the guest stars are no longer living or no longer performing.


Let's see if I can name them all:  Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello, Oprah, Cher, Charo, Whoopi Goldberg, Dinah Shore, Grace Jones, k.d. lang, Little Richard, the Del Rubio Triplets, Joan Rivers, Magic Johnson...I'm probably forgetting a few.  And then the usual suspects, including Laurence Fishburne as Cowboy Curtis, William "Blacula" Marshall as The King of Cartoons, and so on.


My two favorite lines:
1 - Pee Wee:  "Look, it's Little Richard On Ice!"
2 - Magic Johnson:  "Magic Screen and I are cousins!"


This show was the first time I ever saw k.d. lang.  I seem to remember saying to my brother, "There was this weird person on the show who looked like a guy in a cowgirl dress."  He said, "k.d. lang, dyke country singer."  ("Dyke" was just shorthand -- my brother is a great friend of many, many lesbians.)


The Christmas Special is not available from Netflix but is available from Amazon.  (I swear, I recently reinstalled all of those links from this blog to Amazon, and it's still not working.)

No comments:

Post a Comment