Tuesday, November 23, 2010

my Chicago friend Matt (aka Vernon)

So after I found out that my Chicago friend Vern had split up with his wife, I wrote him a long letter, which was returned today.I knew he had lived there for a very long time, so I called out the troops: messaged a mutual friend on Facebook, then just posted on Facebook, then did a web search.  Landed on a little documentary about Vern moving out of the apartment he'd had for, now I don't remember, 25 or 28 years.  I still want his address -- looks like he's still in Chicago.  But I'll share the video.  I can't say it's a thorough look at him, although one of the things that's most breathtaking is the way he writes, which has absolutely nothing to do with the way he speaks.  I put my couple of boxes of letters into storage, where they were lost, but kept Vern's letters here, in a big boot box.  He's maybe a hundred times more brilliant than he comes across.  But perhaps this is a nice introduction to someone who is both odd and wonderful:


Watch Vern Moves in Music  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

No comments:

Post a Comment